Types of screen protectors for smartphones and tablets: what to choose?
The display of modern smartphones and tablets is one of the most vulnerable parts of the device. And although the entire front panel is usually covered with durable shock-resistant tempered glass, this does not guarantee its protection from scratches, cracks and dirt that inevitably arise during use.
Therefore, a protective film or tempered glass on the phone together with a case is a great way to protect expensive equipment from mechanical damage and expensive repairs. The most important thing is to choose the right screen protector.
How to choose a protective glass for your smartphone?
The market today offers a huge amount of protective equipment for screens of mobile equipment. Below is a list of recommendations on how to choose a protective glass for your phone and what nuances to consider when buying.
- Smartphone model. This is the first and key characteristic to consider. Depending on which model of the device - Samsung, Lenovo or Apple - is available, it is necessary to select a protective glass suitable in terms of parameters and inches. Manufacturers make for specific types of devices so that all cutouts for buttons, speakers, front camera match. There are also universal models, but, most often, they cover only part of the front panel.
- Glass thickness. This characteristic is responsible for the reliability of the protective coating. The thicker the model, the more strength the coating will have. But we should not lose sight of the fact that due to the large thickness of the coating, the smartphone visually becomes more massive, and the sensitivity of the touch screen may decrease. It is best to focus on reviews and choose a glass of moderate thickness. Today they offer options from 0.15 to 1 mm.
- Glass strength. The Moss scale is used to measure the strength of protective glasses. It illustrates the surface's ability to resist chips, scratches and cracks. The scale levels were created according to 10 natural minerals that were exposed to each other. The best option for protecting the surface of your phone or tablet screen is 9H glass. But it should also be borne in mind that under various kinds of influences, products with different strengths will behave differently. So, with a mechanical effect on the front side, the most durable glass will better cope with protective functions. And if the blow falls on the butt end, then the elastic glass will be able to spring better and absorb the blow.
- Coating type. In addition to protecting the screen surface, protective glass for smartphones and tablets also performs several other functions. Glasses can be matte, glossy, super transparent, oleophobic. Standard models of safety glasses are glossy. They do not perform any additional functions, except for protective ones, and are completely invisible on the smartphone screen. Frosted safety glass helps eliminate glare in direct sunlight. Oleophobic coated protective glasses help protect the screen surface from grease and other contaminants.
- Edge types. At the very beginning, protective glasses for smartphones had a straight cut, which caused some discomfort during use. Over time, engineers have introduced new standards for perimeter edge processing. Glasses with a 2D edge have a regular smooth cut. Typically, such a coating is recessed into the body, so the entire thickness of the glass is not visible to the user. 2.5D models have bevelled additionally hardened ends - such models are almost invisible on the surface when touching the edges of the device. 3D glasses are used for smartphones that have a rounded side edge, for example, as in the flagship Samsung models.
The main thing to be guided by before buying a protective glass is the compatibility of the selected model with your smartphone. Further, depending on the operating conditions, one should look at the strength and thickness of the coating.
The best protective equipment for smartphones
Today, the best means for protecting the front surface of smartphones and tablets are protective glasses. They are a multi-layer material, the structure of which consists of at least 5 parts:
- Silicone base. It is used for the snuggest and secure fit of the product to the smartphone screen and fixation. Thanks to this coating, the protective glass can be quickly installed on the surface and, if necessary, can be easily removed. To protect this layer, it is covered with a transporting film.
- A thin layer with optically transparent adhesive. Helps to protect the user in case of mechanical damage to the smartphone - the glass does not fall apart after being broken.
- Strained glass. The main part of the protective coating. It is she who is responsible for protecting the smartphone screen from various kinds of damage. Due to multi-stage physical and chemical processing, it has a large margin of safety.
- Anti-reflective coating. Helps eliminate splitting and glare on the screen that can be caused by the refraction of light passing through the glass.
- Oleophobic coating. A special layer is applied to the surface of the coating and helps to eliminate grease, moisture and dirt during tactile contact.
The process of creating protective glass takes place under the influence of high temperatures, as well as processing with special chemical reagents. Thanks to this, weak ions on the surface of the material are replaced by stronger ones, which has a positive effect on the technical characteristics of the accessory.
Protective glass for the phone: reviews
Previously, only protective films were popular among consumers. It was about them that one could read a lot of positive reviews on the Internet.
But after a new product appeared on the market in the form of protective glass for mobile devices, consumer reviews were divided. Some people still prefer to use a screen protector because it is inexpensive and can be easily replaced.
And most of the reviews say that users have switched to using protective glasses since this accessory is more reliable and easier to install. In addition, the service life of the protective glass is significantly longer than that of the film.
Smartphone protection: film or glass?
It is impossible to give an unambiguous answer which protective agent for tablets and smartphones is better since each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages of a protective film include low cost, reliable protection against scratches and abrasions, and no glare on the surface. But to stick a protective film on a smartphone, you need to have a certain skill since air bubbles and lint can get under the film. In addition, the film does not protect the device from shocks and deteriorates very quickly.
The best screen protectors for phones are very easy to install, practically invisible on the screen and help to protect it not only from minor scratches but also from bumps and drops. Glare may appear on the screen of the device where the protective glass is installed. And, of course, the price of tempered glass for a phone or tablet can be quite high.
When choosing a protective glass or film for a smartphone and tablet, you should not try to find the best option - any protection will be better than no protection. After all, replacing a screen in a service centre can cost a round sum, which sometimes exceeds half the cost of a mobile device. The best safety glasses are those with the best price and quality ratio.